Jack and Jyll

Jack and Jyll

Monday, August 23, 2010

Oatmeal Cranberry Nut Cookies


Jyll and I made Oatmeal Cranberry Nut Cookies this morning. I cheated a little and made the batter and then had her help me scoop the cookies. I used an oatmeal raisin cookie recipe and substituted cranberries for the raisins. I also added about a cup of chopped walnuts to the batter. 

It was actually a very good experience today baking with Jyll. I only had one problem... when I was mixing the dough she saw what I was doing and wanted to help.She almost had a melt down. She pulled up her chair and grabbed the spatula. She wanted to lick it and I told her it had shortening on it. She goes "whats shortening?" I said "its fat". Jyll hates fat she asks me all the time at dinner if her meat has fat on it!So I then asked her if she wanted to lick the spatula she said no and let me finish mixing the dough.
I Love cookie dough. More then I actually like baked cookies. I remember eating this dough as a child. One time I even made a whole batch of the dough just to eat. 



Jyll loved the cookie dough too I had to keep telling her to stop eating it. Couldn't blame her though it was really good I think I ate about 2 cookies worth!!!


Jyll scooped this tray of cookies by herself. At one point I didn't even have to tell her where to put it on the tray.

She even helped me put all of the cookies in the cookie jar. She wanted to eat one right away but I told her she had to eat lunch first. I was surprised she didn't try to fight me on this. After she ate her lunch I gave her a cookie and she told me "this cookie is very good mommy" 
I am so happy that we had a good experience today. Now I will have to think of something else we can make together.

2 comments:

  1. Erika, I am glad you are baking with Jyll. It is one of my favorite things to do with my children. They love to do whatever Mommy is doing. David fries his own eggs and has been for a year. Ethan and Jacob can bake brownies and cookies by themselves. Grace is starting to do more independently, too. Seth "helps" and I even had Sarah on the counter once when I made chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your post with Sarah and the pie that one of the boys had made.

    ReplyDelete