Jack and Jyll

Jack and Jyll

Friday, December 17, 2010

Snowflakes


With winter now upon us in Upsate NY we have been seeing a lot of snowflakes. The other day Jyll was looking out the window in the kitchen and caught the snow falling in the morning sunshine.... to my delight she called me to say " mommy come quick there is glitter falling from the sky" I took a moment to look out the window with her, and it really did look like glitter falling from the sky. I had to admire her child imagination and wonder what it would be like to have glitter falling from the sky. She probably wanted to go and play with it and throw a couple fists full into the air. yesterday was another bright sunny morning and Jyll looked out the window again and said it was a glittery day outside. It made me smile.

Have you ever thought of how many ways you can use a snowflake cookie cutter? We bought a snowflake cookie cutter so that I could make some elaborately decorated sugar cookies for the holidays to sell. I have also been using the cutter to make "snow sandwiches" I cut two slices of bread with the cutter into snowflakes (keeping the scraps for bread crumbs) then I layer ham and cheese cut into snowflakes(just the cheese). Or to my astonishment Jyll's new favorite is a Peanut butter snowflake. No jelly just PB. I have been trying to get her to eat PB for YEARS.... this week she has had two PB snowflakes. This morning I made pancakes per request of Jyll and had a thought why not make snowflake pancakes. I greased my pan and the cutter and placed the cutter in the pan to heat. then poured a little bit of batter into the cutter and waited for it to bubble.... remove the cutter before flipping it should slide right out. Jyll loved them and ate 3 pancakes. SO here are 3 things you can do with a snowflake cutter can you think of any more?

People are like snowflakes we can be similar but never the same. I try to remember that as I go about my day. It has been very trying these days with the holidays among us and a 4 year old who really misses her Daddy and wants to spend the Holidays with him. I am trying to make sense of the whole situation between us and cant seem to find an answer. Do I go back with him to make her and him happy or do I stay true to myself and wait for things to be just right. Jyll asked me the other day if we had room in our family for daddy it broke my heart and I hope one day that she doesn't see me as the bad guy who tore the family apart. I also hope that she will see me as a strong woman who stood her ground.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever! why dont u just tell everyone that im a deadbeat too? cuz that will be the impression that people get when they read this. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor No where in here does it read that you are a deadbeat and if that is the impression that you got then I am truly sorry it was never meant to be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read deadbeat in any of this, just a really sad situation. I hope you can all find peace and can work something out for the holidays.

    I love the snowflake cookie cutter tips!! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete