Jack and Jyll

Jack and Jyll

Friday, September 10, 2010

Homemade Apple Sauce!!!!

I have been in a canning mood lately. My mother and I made some pickles this summer and we made some blackberry jam with my sister.  So last week I decided to use some apples I had frozen earlier this spring. I decided to make applesauce with them they really weren't good for anything else. It turned out good and to my surprise Jyll loved it we went through a jar and a half already this week. I wanted to make more and apples are coming into season here in NY. I went to Frog Pond our local produce market and bought a peck of NY grown Ginger crisp Apples for $4.50. I love Frog Pond I will post about that with pictures at a later date.

So here is my recipe for Applesauce:

7 large NY Ginger crisp Apples peeled, cored, and diced
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup water
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole cloves
juice from 1/4 lemon

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cover and heat to boiling. Turn heat down to low and simmer until apples break apart. Remove from heat and take out cinnamon sticks and cloves.  At this point I add a splash of vanilla and a sprinkle of additional cinnamon. Pour everything into a food processor and blend until smooth. Place in jars. To seal jars place in a large pot 1/4 filled with boiling water.boil in pot covered for 3-5 minutes. Be careful removing jars they will be hot. I use a pair of tongs.


I  hope you enjoy this as much as we do. Jyll helped me cut up the apples last night wearing a princess dress and a veil  and slippers. She had fun cutting the apples into tiny pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment